Relaciones Exteriores – Mexican Government

Residing in Mexico

Foreign Nationals can immigrate into Mexico in any of the following characteristics:

Rentista, Scientist, Technician, Business, Student, and as a Family member of a Mexican national, family member of a Temporary Resident or Permanent Resident.

Permanent Resident

After five years as a temporary resident in Mexico, a foreign national can obtain the “Permanent Resident status”, which means he or she has his/her permanent residence in Mexico.

Duration of migratory documents and number of entries to Mexico

At the port of entry the Migration official will determine the duration of stay in Mexico of the foreign national. The maximum stay for tourists and business visitors in Mexico is up to six months. The maximum stay for visitors in transit is up to 30 days.

Visitors must obtain a landing card (FMM form) from the airline or at any port of entry in Mexico and complete this form with his/her individual information. The immigration officer will stamp the FMM card upon arrival. PLEASE KEEP IT IN A SAFE PLACE AND DO NOT LOSE IT. YOU WILL BE ASKED FOR THIS DOCUMENT AT YOUR DEPARTURE FROM MEXICO. The Mexican migratory authorities have the faculty to grant or deny the entry into Mexico if the visitor does not fully comply with the migratory regulations.